Vegan MOFO day 2Today is Day 2 of the 2013 Vegan MOFO. Mondays is Macaroni and Cheese Day if you are following along. I am not sure I will do everyday, but I love mac and cheese so why no indulge. I do believe that this first week of MOFO is turning out to be a shout out to Susan and her wonderful website that is full of great recipes and information. Years ago I found her site and have drawn from it on a weekly basis if not daily at times.
This mac and cheese recipe is a take off of her wonderful recipe. Easy peasy sauce with great flavor. Cook the pasta, blend the sauce, mix together, heat and stir until thick and enjoy! I used a blend of spinach, tomato, and carrot Rotella pasta along with frozen peas and carrots. It is colorful and flavorful! Just to let you know that when using this pasta you will not have a lot of extra creamy sauce. The size and texture of the pasta catches all the sauce in its wrinkles, ridges, or rolls (not sure what you call them). Only having 8oz of pasta I halved the sauce recipe.
My half version of Susan's Easy Vegan Macaroni and Cheeze
- 8 oz vegetable Rotella
- 1 cup of thawed frozen peas and carrot blend
- 1/2 cup water plus 2 TB
- 1/2 cup plain, unsweetened almond milk
- 6 TB of nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 TB potato starch
- 1/2 TB lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 TB tahini
- 1/2 tsp yellow miso
- black pepper to taste
- Boil pasta in salted water until al dente or how you like it. My hubby likes very soft cooked pasta where I like it al dente.
- Blend the rest of the ingredients in a blender until creamy. Taste to see if flavorful enough for you. Adjust flavors if necessary.
- Drain pasta, but do not rinse. Susan's recipe says to reserve a cup of the pasta water in case your dish is too thick and add a little bit at a time if needed. ( I did not need to add to mine)
- Return pasta to pot, add the sauce, thawed peas and carrots, and heat until sauce is the thickness you want.
Finally this is a farewell to one of my hens. Henrietta passed away yesterday. She was a sweet girl. I know she had a happy life running loose on our land with her sisters and Mr. Bawk Bawk or king rooster.
|My sweet grandson and Miss Henrietta|