Thursday, September 19, 2013

Did I Hear Someone Say Blueberry Waffles?

    Sorry y'all, I tried to get this up yesterday, but the cyberspace gremlins to my internet hostage. Gratefully, I see that they have gone this morning.
I have had my waffle iron sitting on top of my cabinet for so long it looks gray instead of silver. Can you believe it? Yes, I clean house, but I don't often clean on top of my cabinets. Maybe that is something to put on my to do list. Well, I got it down and washed it off to try my hand at waffles.
     I have to blame Susan. It is all her fault with her lovely picture of her blueberry waffles on facebook. All kidding aside Susan has great recipes. If you have not checked out her blog, head on over. All of her recipes are McDougall approved and very yummy.

     Here is Susan's recipe for Fat Free Blueberry or Vanilla Waffles.

I should have defrosted my blueberries. They pretty much stayed together. But still tasted good!

Fat-free Vanilla or Blueberry Waffles


Fat-free waffles are softer and less crispy than traditional waffles, but if you want them crispier, simply pop the cooked waffles into the toaster for a minute or two. This is also a great way to reheat leftovers.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 cups flour (I used white whole wheat)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon potato starch
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/3 cups soy milk (or other non-dairy milk)
  • 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons agave nectar
  • 1/2 vanilla bean (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
  • 3/4 cup blueberries (optional)
  • canola oil spray

Instructions

  1. Combine the dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Combine the soy milk, cider vinegar, and agave in a smaller bowl. Split the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape the seeds into the liquid ingredients (or add vanilla extract). Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir just until all flour is moistened. If blueberry waffles, fold in blueberries. Set batter aside while you heat your waffle iron.
  2. Spray your waffle iron with canola oil, if necessary, and follow your iron’s instructions for making the waffles, cooking until golden brown. Makes approximately 12 waffles.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s) | Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6

Nutrition Facts

Per serving, without blueberries: 128 Calories (kcal); 2g Total Fat; (9% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 542mg Sodium; 4g Fiber.
With blueberries: 138 Calories (kcal); 2g Total Fat; (9% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 543mg Sodium; 4g Fiber.

No comments:

Post a Comment