Saturday, August 31, 2013

New Beginnings including Vegan MOFO 2013



Vegan MOFO starts September 1, 2013

Welcome to my new blog. Many of you may have come from my old blog and I want to thank you for coming over for a visit. Those of you that are new I hope you enjoy and find some answers to your questions and some links to great recipes, blogs and chefs. I started this new blog for a few reasons.  One I needed a fresh start for the new me, second I have changed my lifestyle from a vegan lifestyle to a whole foods plant based lifestyle. You may ask, what’s the difference? Well the old me lived a junk food vegan lifestyle. If it is vegan it is ok to eat.  For me that was the wrong way of thinking. Yes, one can survive on potato chips, Oreo cookies, biscuits and gravy with a side of veggies, but is it healthy?  Come on be honest with yourself. Drive through fast food and grab some hash browns or French fires with a soda?

I was tired of the stares and rude comments I would get when people would hear I was vegan. You see I am over weight and people could not understand if I ate plants why and how could I be overweight.  I would hear it all the time, and then have to explain that many junk foods are vegan and that doesn’t mean  they are healthy.  I can make mean gravy with Earth Balance or canola oil, white flour, and vegetable broth, add in some faux sausage and I am sure it can pretty much stand up to your grandma’s country gravy. Does it have a lower fat content than gravy made with animal products?  Does it contain less saturated fat and more vitamins? After going to the doctor and having my blood tests If I have to be honest with myself the answer is no. My cholesterol was 231. When my doctor saw that she said in a very condescending voice. “Oh, so you say you are vegan and don’t eat animal products” Basically called me a liar. That was it! I was going to fix this because I have not had animal products in over 10 years. I renewed my drive with all the movies I could such as: Forks over knives, Food Inc., Processed people, Super-size me, and a ton of videos on the web from Dr. McDougall, Dr. Esselstyn, and Dr. Campbell. I started checking books out of the library and off my own bookshelf  to get my rear in gear!

Therefore, I needed a new start. All of the recipes on my old blog are  plant based recipes, but there are some good old comfort food full of fat. I have known about healthier low fat eating for many years as I would dabble in it from many great blogs and websites, such as Lindsay at Happy Herbivore, and Dr. McDougall  and the list goes on and on. I  have even been a tester for all but one of  the Happy Herbivore cookbooks. When I test I am right on track. But then I fall off the wagon. No more, I need to stay on track. My way of eating for years has always been eating no animal products of any kind, but now I am beginning a low fat whole foods plant based way of life. No added oils! Good bye to Earth Balance, olive oil, canola oil, faux oil based vegan cheeses. Hello to yummy healthy food! I need to do this for myself. Many of you can eat those higher fat foods and apparently do just fine. For me it isn't working so it is time to get myself back on track.

 I always need something to drive me, guide me, and just make sure I am following the right road. I am famous for taking a wrong turn along the way. I also have the dreaded OCD and need to be in control and choose my way.  This year it just so happens that Vegan MOFO begins in September. What a perfect tool to use for my advantage and get this new me started. You say, "What in the world is Vegan MOFO? It is a place where hundreds of fun people sign up to cook a Vegan month of food and post recipes, photos, fun facts and what ever else they want that is all about VEGAN/Whole plant based living and eating. There are many different categories that people sign up for. Basically, a theme that you try and follow and post at least 20 times during the month. I love the creativity and the all around great recipes, fun, and information that others add to this lifestyle.  I am so excited to be part of Vegan Mofo 2013. See you all there!

Thank you for being a part of my new journey back to health.

1 comment:

  1. This is so great, Sheree! Now I'm even more excited to sit back and take in all you've been doing with MoFo this year.

    My theme is totally 'theme? what theme? I can't possibly stick to a theme', but I am constantly impressed by the creativity and commitment of so many others.

    thanks for offering up a heaping helping of healthy inspiration!

    ReplyDelete